the storage room amsterdam, a new project by studio de culinaire werkplaats, proudly presents:
- the exhibition beyond black; black matters for all your senses.
- from nov 24, 2016 – feb 05, 2017
the storage room is
- world’s 1st project space dedicated to sensorial food art + design;
- an initiative by marjolein wintjes (food conceptualists + co-founder of studio de culinaire werkplaats).
interactive exhibition beyond black.
the exhibition beyond black addresses in a playful and twistful way several ‘black matters‘ and goes beyond the concept of black as a colour. for beyond black marjolein made a selection of the black related conceptual food and eating experiences created by her for studio de culinaire werkplaats.
furthermore, she added a few new interpretations as well. so there are sculptures, small installations, collages, videos, etc. and … 5 experiential stations to make you meet black with more than your eyes only. this time you may look and touch.
you can nibble, sniff, sip, touch, chew, slurp, and…….. to give you a small impression:
- black pearls: to try out and discover some of the new luxuries (experiential installation).
- blacks in disguise invites you to explore and discover the taste of various blacks (hanging installation).
- a bouquet of black addresses your nose with a selection of fragrances of black (wall piece).
- a collection of black stills are a reflection on the end of food (collages). also presented in an experiential way.
- colourful black showcases the colourfulness of vegetal blacks.
- the couple’s motto is ‘food equals fashion’, so there is a black fashion icon/statement (installation) as well;
- and there are some interpretations black and emotions,
- etc. …
so the exhibition beyond black is about:
- the beauty of nature and black plant power in particular;
- the vulnerability of the eco-system;
- the sensorial, associative, and symbolic powers of black
- and new (eating) rituals.
- black was the 1st theme explored at studio de culinaire werkplaats by marjolein and eric more than 8 years ago.
- ever since they are known as the people of the black food and black became one of their signatures.
- during the past years they have discovered over 90 vegetal black ingredients,
- and they explored numerous black issues in food concepts and/or food art installations, even political matters.
the storage room.
all the projects and works of studio de culinaire werkplaats inspire you to re-think the future, and the dinner plate of the future in particular.
with this latest project “art space: the storage room” a long-cherished dream of marjolein comes true. at the storage room she can share her conceptual approach on food and the act of eating, by presenting food like art and in a more sensorial way.
this art space will address all kinds of themes and issues using the sensorial qualities of food + the act of eating.
exhibition beyond black
- period: nov 24, 2016 – feb 05,2017
- what: black matters for all your senses.
- thu – fri – sat – sun: 1 pm – 6 pm
- outside opening hours.
- by appointment only.
- groups: min. 5 persons.
where – contact information.
- the storage room: j.m. kemperstraat 80, 1051 tv amsterdam
- entrance through studio de culinaire werkplaats (corner fannius scholtenstraat 10 and j.m. kemperstraat 80).
- phone: +31(0)6 39 76 9955 (marjolein wintjes) or via de culinaire werkplaats +31 (06)54 64 65 76
- we kindly ask a donation of approx. € 7,50 per person;
- why :
- viewing the exhibition is only part of your visit, you taste, sniff, touch, etc., as well. so you consume part of the exhibition literally;
- the exhibition is created with temporary materials so the exhibited sculptures, installations, have to be renewed/refreshed several times during the exhibition period.